I think probably one of the hardest changes I've had to cope with has been transitioning from high school to college. Don't get me wrong, the freedom college provides is great. Picking your own schedule and not being resticted to a set amount of classes, being able to leave classes early, and (outside of core classes) choosing the field in which you study is greatly improved over high school. The changes I'm thinking of don't really deal with the classes. It has to deal more with friends and the friend making process.
Back when I began high school in 2010, I had a big advantage when it came to making friends. Besides knowing _______ amount of people that also transitioned from middle school to high school, I had a second family of kids from every grade in band. I constantly had things to do with these people which kept me busy and feigning me as being social. Since I was always in the upper quarter of the band (top ensemble 4 years and also marching percussion 4 years with a year of both front ensemble and drum line), I got to know the older kids and spent little time with the majority of kids in my class. Though this was great at the time, I feel as though it lulled me into a false sense of "social" security. Out of all the kids(I'd classify as good/great friends) I marched with that didn't end up choosing MGSU as their choice for college, I've probably kept in touch (consistently) with 2-3 people at most. I will say that my first year out of high school was definitely more social with those people than this year. I guess that life just happens and people get busy. People being busy was always my thought for people not responding to me because I knew they probably had more homework, some sort of a job or some new social experience (sorority/frat/bible study/etc) that the had to do or prioritized. It has made me realize that I guess some of those friendships had nothing more in common than band (which if you knew me, band is [or was] a big part of my life). I feel bad about that since I have known some of these people since I started my band journey in middle school. I can't (/am not trying to) blame them for my un-social-ness since I can easily reach out to them, its just... (from past experience) they might not reciprocate the socialness or the effort.
I'm right there with you. That has been my hardest transition as well. Having to find time to study while also having a job, playing drums, and just finding time to relax is hard and can take it's toll on me.
ReplyDelete