Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Barney Stinson and Eroticism

In my group that presented about eroticism, we talked about how there was an emotional component when talking about eroticism.  I think that a good pop culture reference that shows how sex can tend to be meaningless while eroticism involves emotion would be the show How I Met Your Mother.

 The character Barney Stinson epitomizes how sex can be illustrated as meaningless with no emotional connection between the two parties involved. Season after season for the majority of the show's stay on TV, Barney would always brag about his conquests of multiple bimbos he would meet at the bar, have a one night stand with and subsequently kick out or leave depending on if they went to his place (which happened the majority of the time) or vice versa.  In one episode, he even went so far to create a March Madness-type bracket with women to discover which of his old "girlfriends" is telling other women in his area that he only cares about the sex/one night stand they will have (illustrates the magnitude of his sexual partners, 64+ in quantity).  Throughout the majority of the show, he tries very hard to stay detached to women by creating various failsafe systems so he always has at his disposal a plethora of girls to have sex with (some failsafe a include a breast augmentation surgeon, lawyer with a class action case against his breast augmentation surgeon when they realize he's a fraud, breast reduction surgeon [this particular grouping is cyclical in nature with one leading to next and so on]).  He even has a "playbook" and "bro code" (with a fictitious history attached to it that he treats like a bible) that he references constantly for a good 90% of the show. 

In essence, this show illustrates how not all sex has meaning and emotion behind it. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this tv show. Barney is sure the guy that has standards for women, and most of the time he is always playing a game to see how many girls he can sleep with or even talk to at the bar. The one episode that he has a book, i cant remember what exactly the book was but it was for girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the point that you brought up here using the television show as an example does a really good job of showing the separation between sex and eroticism. I know that personally I had always thought of eroticism a sexual term and nothing more. I think that when defining eroticism the man point is that it includes a strong emotional connection and desire. Barney Stinson proves that it is very possible to have sexual relations without that powerful connection. I think that him being so completely unattached is one of the things that makes the show so comical.

    ReplyDelete