Thursday, September 10, 2015
Thoughts on the meaning of Hero
When I think of a typical hero, I think of someone like Superman. He, in my mind, is person who can do no wrong (for the most part) as he saves Metropolis a countless number of times. Heroism and acts of that nature extend out much further than just the superheroes on a comic book page or the action heroes selling out movie theaters. The essence of heroism can practically be seen in every facet of life, even if only for a brief moment. Some of the more obvious every day heroes are the people that put their lives on the line, such as EMTs, firefighters, police and soldiers. These people make a community, state or entire country overall better because of the service they provide. Some heroes, on the other hand, can go relatively unsung in the grand scheme of things. It could be something as small as someone brightening your day or listening to you vent. Teachers, or just people in a learning and/or authoritative position, could have a profound effect on a particular person's life to show them what potential or even save the person from doing something terrible (self harm type things). I guess my purpose with this is to talk about the scope of the definition of hero and how widely it can be interpreted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you completely. A hero isn't always someone who's going to be out and about doing good 24/7 for their whole life, and a hero isn't always someone who rescues an old lady from a burning building. There are acts of kindness all around and it's unfortunate that we often don't take notice. I think that kindness is its own form of heroism as it happens everyday, but it tends to get drowned out by the fact that our world is going through a lot. But, so long as people remember that there can be no dark without a light, eventually we'll come to see it.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. A lot of people that I believe are heroes are not recognized as heroes. I believe that a lot of them go unseen and don't get the credit that they have earned by helping people. When someone is a hero to someone most of the time they don't want recognition for their acts, but I believe that they should still receive it.
ReplyDeleteI think that a hero can be literally anyone who you deem to be deserving of the title. A hero can be a superhero if he or she inspires you to be a better person and to be the best that you can be, or it could be your grandma if she shows you warmth and kindness through her delicious cooking. I just think a hero needs to be someone who makes you want to be a better person.
ReplyDelete