Friday, October 23, 2015
New Testament to Now
I think that there is a lot of aspects of the New Testament that can be relevant in modern society, especially when it comes to religion and other aspects of life. I think my focus of this post will be on a section of Matthew 5-7 (specifically Matthew 6) and how it can pertain to people's actions with/without religion. The beginning line of the section where it says that you'll have "no recompense from your father in heaven" if you practice righteousness/arrogance in public with concerns to your religion. In my view (note, I'm not super religious), practicing your religion is more than fine. The first amendment protects the exercising of religious faith and making laws around religion. The only problem I have when it comes to religion is when a particular religion tries to push their views on people who aren't particularly fond of those ideals, ESPECIALLY if they clash and ESPECIALLY if religion shouldn't be apart of the discussion (separation of church and state particularly). For example, the whole Kim Davis things falls under this sort of mindset. The US Supreme Court, the highest court in the land that has to interpret the Constitution (where the 1st amendment resides), basically said that the Constitution guarantees gay marriage as a right to all citizens. Kim Davis didn't believe in that, so she denied homosexuals deciding to get married (in her area) a marriage license based on her religious views. Though she has all the rights in the world (or at least our country) to profess her religion, there is nothing saying she can use her religion to deprive people of their rights. If she wanted something to change, she could've appealed or something less intrusive to others rights. She seemed like she wanted the national attention, akin to a "trumpet being blown" before her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A lot of people tend to forget this part of the Bible. I come from a Catholic family but am now an atheist, and I never heard this when I was in church. They skipped from "be as perfect as your father in heaven is perfect" to "our father who art in heaven". Never did I hear, keep your religion to yourself and practice it in secret.
ReplyDeleteI agree that religions should not try to force their views upon you. It is stupid and ridiculous, giving up your own life for not believing in something that someone else does. We should be able to believe what we want to believe and people who profess their faith don't need to threaten others into believing what they believe.
ReplyDelete