Friday, November 6, 2015

Pink Lemonade

I was going to pick one song out of this album, but the continuity between songs proved too much to separate.  A brief glimpse about the band, Closure in Moscow, before I get into the music.  Closure in Moscow is an alternative band out of Australia that currently has one EP (The Penance and the Patie) and two full length albums (First Temple / Pink Lemonade) out with their most recent being released April 2014.  The musical style of the group has pretty much changed each album, from a mostly rock feel to the very edge of a new alternative (kinda hippy) sound.

They touch on a lot of different topics throughout their 11 tracks on Pink lemonade, but most seem to blend together (in a good way) through musical ideas that carry over between the majority of the tracks.  The music is just very pleasant to the ears and different, sounding nothing I had ever heard before I heard this album for the first time.  They have a knack for beautifully combining harmonies and interesting phrases of the instruments and vocals to give a very unique feel and emotion to the songs.  If i had to pick a few favorites, my choices would be Mauerbauertraurigkeit and Happy Days.  They are kind of polar opposites in overall feel and message.  Mauerbauertraurigkeit basically translates to pushing any/everyone way "as if all your social tastebuds suddenly went numb, leaving you unable to distinguish cheap politeness from the taste of genuine affection, unable to recognize its rich and ambiguous flavors, its long and delicate maturation, or the simple fact that each tasting is double-blind."  The song is very relaxed and odd when you first hear it (weird phrasing since the majority of it is in 5/8) and I feel like I can identify with this because I feel like there were/are a lot of days that I feel like this, especially back in high school.  Lots of days of apathy and just not wanting to go through the motions of the day partly because I couldn't tell if my friendships had merit and weren't just because of "forced" prolonged proximity.   Happy Days, on the other hand, is more positive in a message of perseverance.  The cheery jazz/rock feel throughout evokes a feeling a personal feeling of joy.  Life has been hitting me hard within the past year or two, so it's nice to have a song like this to remind me to keep pushing forward.  I think the ability to relate to music and use it for personal benefit is another layer of beauty that can be found within songs.  These songs are multi-layered beauties for the message/feeling/sound they present to the audience. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment